Tuesday, September 6, 2016

WDS Setup for TP-Link C7 and D-Link682 running DD-WRT

So we know from the previous post that the hardware is the same for both routers.  The main difference is the style of the router (DLink has not external antenna's and is about 100$ cheaper).  As a reminder I picked up my DLink router from Ebay for about 30$.

After upgrading the firmware on both routers to DD-WRT (30082) - 7/1/16 was the build date, I began the initial setup for the main router.  The main router is the C7.  The following changes were made on the C7

Setup
WAN: Disabled
STP: Enabled
DHCP: Enabled
Advanced Routing - Gateway

Wireless
Wireless (both) - Set as WDS AP (for the main router)
Wireless Security - Make sure what ever you set here is the same on both routers (I chose AES, I heard mixed reports about it not working on anything more the AES)

SSID - Make sure your 2.4 and your 5.0 have unique SSID, you will be using the same SSID on the second router
Ath0-WDS - Put your second router's 2.4Ghz mac address here.
Ath1-WDS - Put your second router's 5.0Ghz mac address here.

That is pretty much it for the main router.  Most of the notable changes are on the second router.

Setup
STP: Enabled
DHCP: Disabled
Advanced Routing - Router


Wireless
Wireless (both) - Set as WDS Station
Wireless Security - same as primary router
SSID - Same as your primary router
Virtual Interface for 2.4 -  AP/ same ssid as primary router
Virtual Interface for 5.0 - AP/ same ssid as primary router
Ath0-WDS - Put your primary router's 2.4Ghz mac address here.
Ath1-WDS - Put your primary router's 5.0Ghz mac address here.

Security
Firewall: Disabled

Those are the setting that I have currently setup and it is working.  Adding the second router really expanded my wireless range by about 500 ft.  Instead of just having WIFI in the house, I can walk to the kids playground and still have access, and I can just barely get it by the pool.

Next to add another router near the pool so I have full WIFI there (cellular service is horrible around here), just need to figure out where I can get power for the router and how to keep it out of site.


Ath0-WDS

No comments:

Post a Comment