Tuesday, May 17, 2022

SecurityOnion@Home: Splunk Forwarder

So SecurityOnion 2.3 does come with Kibana, but I also like Splunk and want to get more experience with Splunk.  My plan is to add a Splunk Forwarder to SecurityOnion.   I have two paths I can take to accomplish this.

1.  Install it on the machine as a normal application

2.  Install a Docker Container of the Splunk Forwarder.  

I have chosen two, cause one is too easy to complete.   Plus this could give me more experience with Docker.  

Step 1:  docker pull splunk/universalforwarder:latest

Step 2:  docker run --name uf --hostname uf -p 9997:9997 -e "SPLUNK_PASSWORD=<PASSWORD>" -e "SPLUNK_START_ARGS=--accept license" -e "SPLUNK_FORWARD_SERVER=XX.XX.XX.XX:9997" -d splunk/universalforwarder:latest

The docker container started, and is still operational, but don't see anything on my main Splunk Server.  Also since I have the free version of Splunk, I do not have forwarder management, so can't see in Splunk if it's talking to each other.

I did try docker logs uf which looks like a bunch of ansible scripts, not the splunkd.log which I was looking for.  

Next, I went and typed: docker exec -it -u splunk uf /bin/bash to access the container.  I viewed the splunkd.log there but did find anything just yet of use.  

I need to figure out how to add a folder to watch the docker container (Zeek/Suricata) for now.   Might try and add the docker container to the SecurityOnion group of containers (If it benefits anything that is).  


No comments:

Post a Comment