Sunday, June 26, 2022

Malcom NSM - Installation

 Using the directions from their Github, I set out tonight to set up Malcolm NSM.  As I was running out of space on my machine (and truthfully too lazy to open it up and add more drives, I purchased an NVME M2 external USB 3.1 device)   

I am using a SAMSUNG 780 500Gb for the drive, and that is where I am going to store my VM of Malcolm NSM.  

There are a few ways to install Malcolm NSM

  1. ISO install (Which I tried but failed, don't think I made it big enough)
  2.  Ubuntu Starting Image 
  3. From Source.

I picked #2.  

I set up my VM with two NICs, 10Gb Memory, 4 cores, and 100Gb space (The first few times I tried this I ran out of space at 25Gb (hench the above comment about expanding my HD space on the machine)

With Ubuntu up and operational, it was time to start the installation.  

sudo /scripts/install.py

And I got my first error (well it never really shows an error, but after digging, it looks like Docker is not being installed with the script).  The error was trying to add a user to the docker group (which does not exist). 

I tried to review the install.py but it pretty big file to review, so I decided to follow other guides in getting docker installed on Ubuntu Jammy InRelease. 

sudo apt install apt-transport-https ca-certificates curl software-properties-common
 sudo mkdir -p /etc/apt/keyrings
 curl -fsSL https://download.docker.com/linux/ubuntu/gpg | sudo gpg --dearmor -o /etc/apt/keyrings/docker.gpg
 echo \ "deb [arch=$(dpkg --print-architecture) signed-by=/etc/apt/keyrings/docker.gpg] https://download.docker.com/linux/ubuntu \
  $(lsb_release -cs) stable" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/docker.list > /dev/null
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install docker-ce
Now I was able to run the install.py without any errors (A lot of responses were required though)
From there you have to do a reboot, and re-run install.py again.  

After that, you run the command ./auth-setup
Then you run docker-compose pull   (This is where I ran out of space the first time)
And finally ./start.   

Maybe tomorrow I will write up initial impressions of Malcolm NSM



No comments:

Post a Comment