Tuesday, October 26, 2010

I figured out the dark detecting LED

With a constant eye on Evil Mad Scientist website, i sat down on a crude makeshift desk and started to try and piece together the dark detecting LED.  Mind you I don't remember the last time I tried to solder things, so I already knew this was going to be a long day.  I started probably around 5pm, and finished around 9pm (yes I know I am slow).

Its pretty crude looking and using the same color wire for everything so yea I would get pretty confused but I had to work with what I had which was not much I guess.  After initially putting in the batteries it light right up and I figured it was messed up.  But I decided maybe my room was not bright enough (hmm wonder if the first project might not have been a failure).  So I took it directly to the light and turned it on and what do you know the LED's stayed off.  Brought it off the light source and the LED's turned on.

Only one more of these to make (and I was planning on three of them) Three little ghosts.  First have to finish making the second LED setup.  Hopefully tomorrow's will go a lot quicker then today.  A few things I learned along the way.

1.  Tips of soldering irons burn away (yea I know its been a while)
2.  Its a pain to solder on the small perfboard.
3.  I need a real desk
4.  Need those alligator clip hands that I saw at other sites.
5.  Need a better camera to take pictures with.



No comments:

Post a Comment