Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Wireless Router hacking

About a month ago I purchased a new Linksys E2000 wireless router for the house, this left me with a WRT54GS to play with.  The WRT54GS was already running DD-WRT. so it had all the bells and whistles.  But I wanted it to do something more then just what DD-WRT had out of the box  


I wanted to be able to put it in my car and have it auto join my house network, and a few friends networks with their permission of course.  Simple I would think, just something like acting as a wireless bridge, but I wanted it to do it without my intervention.  


After a little searching I found a script to put on the router called AutoAP.  The script scans for open wifi connections and connects to the strongest signal.  I can see how you may get in trouble here if you have it set to join any open wifi, but it also has the ability to set it to join predefined wifi, even ones with encryption. 


It only took about 10 minutes to reload the firmware on the router, and startup the script.  I set the bookmark for the AutoAP html on my Iphone (to view connections), and set out to test drive the router.  
 

I was able to join my network and a few wifi connection that had no encryption setup on them.  Overall I would say this project was a hugh success, now to have the router direct line connection in the car instead of just off the cigarette lighter

No comments:

Post a Comment