Sunday, September 4, 2016

DD-WRT on TP LINK C7 V2

I recently purchased the TP Link C7 V2 to replace an aging Linksys E2000.  Yes I know its an old router, but I was not using the WIFI as much as I am now.  Initial setup of the TP LINK was pretty strait forward.  The router was purchased from Amazon when it was on sale.   I tried to keep the router with the original firmware, but just couldn't last about 2 weeks after getting it I installed OpenWRT. 

OpenWRT was pretty good, and I had it on there for about a week or so, but it was to much for what I was looking for, I finally settled on DD-WRT for this router.  The setup was pretty strait foward.  I download the stock firmware from TP-Link, and installed it over top of OpenWRT, and then installed DD-WRT on top of that.  

My next task was purchasing a D-Link 862L from Ebay for 25$.  This router is considered a AC1600 but with DD-WRT installed it will be a AC1750, and has the same internals as the TP-Link C7, just in a different shape.  

I wanted to play with wireless bridging/mesh networks so having two routers that use the same hardware should be simple enough. 

Next post will go into setting up the two routers on the same network.  

No comments:

Post a Comment