Wednesday, February 2, 2011

My fitbit survived a fall in water

About a week ago I stretched out the fitbit to where it was unable to fit snug on the pocket of my jeans.  Ever since then I had tried to be real careful with it because I just knew that it would fall off.  It happened once before, I was with my daughters at soccer practice and I lost it.

Thanks to some kind stranger who turned it into the office at the soccer field I was able to get it back.  This time I was not so lucky, I went to wash my hands and must have snagged my Fitbit as it flew off the pocket and dropped into the toilet.

I am just glad the toilet was just plain water at the time as I grabbed it out and took a towel to dry it off real quick.  Next i grabbed a zip-lock bag and some rice and threw the Fitbit inside.  I left it inside the rice for about 48 hours to let the rice soak up all the moisture inside.

Last night I finally took it out of the rice and tested it real quick to see if it turned on.  A successful test, next was to see if it was able to charge.  It only took about 30 minutes to fully charge it, and now I am waiting to see if it still last the average of 5 days without a charge or will it be dead in less then a day.

I was just getting back into the groove of using my Fitbit and I really hope that it survived this.  Next I need to find a better way to keep it secure while its on my body.

2 comments:

  1. I left my fitbit clipped onto my shorts and gave it for a wet wash. I just found out today (been 2days, though the maid, took it out and kept it on the window sill to dry. All without telling me.) Anyways, its not exactly damp, but wasnt turning. I let it charge for an hour and then it worked and counted steps. However, it discharged completely after about 20 mins. I am going to try the rice solutioin as a last ditch solution. Has your device worked well battery wise? Does it last 5 days now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. try rubbing alcohol it worked for my fitbit:)

    ReplyDelete