Sunday, December 18, 2011

Treasure Finder: Update 1

Its getting close to Christmas and with that I do not think that I will be starting this until after the holidays, but I wanted to update the folks that have been coming here on its status.  I have made a few purchases for the parts that  I will be using and have been making slow "cosmetic" changes to what I want it to look like.

I have been in talks with a member of MakerSpaceSD on making the round disk out of a 3D in plastic, right now in the initial design stages using Google Sketchup.  Once I have verified it looks good and will function correctly it will be time to send it to the printer.  Below is the initial design.  I have to rework the center piece I believe to be able to fit the reference coil, and also be able to attach to the pole.


Next is the pole that  I will using instead of the wood pole used in the original.  I am going to try and get the end bent like what I see as a metal detector and add a grip at the bend.  Maybe have a arm brace on the end.  This is a 6 Ft pole that has an extension on it, and a plastic end used to add attachments.  I picked it up at Home Depot.  I figured I could make another piece in the printer that would be able to be screwed in (not sure how difficult that would be) and then have that with like a ball joint so that the base could swivel around.



I stopped by Radio Shack and picked up two more pieces, many more needed.  The first will be the enclosure for the circuit board, and the second is the circuit board.  The enclosure is plastic, and cost about 5$, and the board was also about 5$.  I think so far I have about 15$ dollars in this with probably a lot more the initially planned because I am going a little off course on the design.  Hope it all works out in the end.